Sunday, June 28, 2009

Frosty Mountain

Well I didn't post any pictures from last weekend, but I did go hiking. My friend came out from Vancouver, and we hiked Frosty Mountain in Manning park. The hike was absolutely gorgeous even though the weather was a bit cloudy. I soon discovered that my camera batteries died and was so disappointed that I couldn't take any pictures of these incredible views. Lesson learned...bring back up batteries always!!! I knew I had to do this hike again before I leave for the summer so I packed 8 extra batteries and set off on Saturday. I don't usually do repeat hikes as there are so many to choose from in the Fraser Valley, but I just couldn't resist! The weather was much more cooperative than the previous weekend, and the photos turned out awesome! I was very impressed to meet a couple from Europe, the husband was 70 and his wife 64, and they made it to the summit no problem! They walk 10km every day and hike regularly....hopefully I'm in similar health at that age! Anyhow, here are some pictures:

Lightning lakes from the parking lot



A curious fellow looking for food



Lightning lakes from about 3 km into the hike



Stands of alpine larch are found along the hike. They are needle shedding coniferous trees. This hike is definitely recommended in the fall when the needles turn bright orange/yellow, a stark contrast with the white snow.



A close up view of the budding needles.






Frosty Mountain is the highest peak in Manning park. It's the peak to the right of the photo.



This is a turnaround hike, you follow the same route for the descent....can be a bit repetitive, so I decided to follow this ridge and forge my own route back down.






The colours in the clouds were interesting, this was taken at about 2:00 in the afternoon, looks more like sunrise/sunset.



A sea of mountain chains!






A French group, from France and Quebec, with 2 leaders.


The summit!






I've never seen lichen in such vivid colours! Almost looks like splatter art!






It was a bit scary hiking this part as it was off the trail and the rock was extremely loose. Interesting rock formations.



Picture taken on 10 sec timer.



Last look at the mountain as I head back into the tree line and bushwack my way to lightning lakes.



Bushwacking wounds!

2 comments:

  1. wow! beautiful pictures. That sea of mts. is amazing. You are one brave boy with your trail blazing! Thanks for sharing, John. Again, hope you have an amazing summer trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, beautiful pictures as promised! looking forward to updates from the road this summer :)

    ReplyDelete